Waterman Stoves

Waterman Stove logo

A Bit of History

Prior to the 1940s, there were many small stove manufacturers in the US and unfortunately little is known about many of them. I have taken a particular interest in Waterman stoves ever since a friend gave me one. That stove is in our kitchen and we have used it daily for years. I have since acquired another 3-burner Waterman and photographs of others. My only knowledge of the company is that it was located in New York City thanks to my recent discovery of a cast iron stove marked “Henry Waterman & Bro., New York, N.Y., U.S.A.” Thanks to visitor Tony who grew up just around the corner from the Waterman factory, I have a bit more information.  The plant was located on Flushing Ave. in Brooklyn near the corner of Onderonk Ave.  (see map below) A large factory building remains on the site today.  Tony also mentioned that Henry had two brothers… consistent with the markings on some stoves “Waterman & Bro.”

Waterman factory location
Waterman factory location – click to enlarge

Got Waterman Info?

If you happen to have any advertisements or company catalogs, I would like to acquire them or get a scan or photograph. I would also be glad to pay you for copies of them. Please email me with any information that you may have. Thanks.

Other Resources

See also our Buy/Sell/Parts page as well as our Stove Sites and FAQs pages.

Photographs

Below are photographs of Waterman stoves that I have collected. If you own a model not posted here, please get in touch. I would love to collect and post other photos.

Value

Many have asked me what their Waterman stove is worth.  Always begin with the most important factor: condition.  Condition is critical to value.  99.9% of vintage stoves have been used and have rust in the ovens.  They may look presentable but they are not in like-new condition. The big money in vintage stoves is paid for fully restored showroom shiny fancy stoves.

Contrast that with the humble Waterman stoves which are fairly plain, and are probably destined for a camp or cottage rather than a trendy suburban home.  Most of the stoves shown below in average shape would sell for $50-200, or whatever you can get.  Some will require a good marketing effort to find any buyer.  The fancier models like #5, #6, #8 or #20 in clean condition with no chips, damage or missing parts could be worth up to about $500.

Using Your Vintage Stove

These stoves are of very simple design: gas lines to valves and lines then go to the burners. Assuming everything is fitted up correctly and there are no leaks, you can use them. No electronics to break. Most Waterman stoves do not even have pilot lights so they need to be hand-lit.

listing in 1946 NYC phone directory

CAUTION: Gas can be extremely dangerous and needs to be treated with great respect. If you don’t know what you are doing, hire a professional to make repairs or connect the stove.

Comments / Feedback

Head down to the comments section below

Waterman Stoves and Parts For Sale

See our separate page on stoves and parts – you can post a listing there if you like.

Waterman 2-burner stove
Later model 2 burner
1. This early model Waterman 2 burner turned up
on ebay. It was located on Long Island.
2. A later model 2-burner Waterman
4-burner model
Waterman 4 burner
3. Four-burner model with faux-marble enamel
side panels.
4. This four-burner is nearly identical to the one at left. The knob for the oven is different. It’s identical to the 4-burner in our kitchen.
blue and tan enamel 3-burner Waterman
4-burner
5. I purchased this light blue and tan enamel
stove in 2005 in Pennsylvania. The owner
had brought it over from his parent’s house
in New Jersey.
6. This Waterman 4-burner was auctioned on
ebay in spring 2006 by some folks in NJ. A
beauty!
blue and tan enamel 3-burner Waterman
Yellow Enamel Waterman Stove
7. A fellow Waterman stove enthusiast submitted this photo. Two burners on the right. Not sure if it originally had legs or was meant to be a built-in model.
8. Here is a yellow enamel Waterman Stove submitted by a visitor to this site. Four burners on the right side. How the heck many models did this company make?
Hercules Waterman NY
label
9. Here is a little camp or laboratory single burner unit which is marked Hercules No 12 – H Waterman NY 10. Label from yellow enamel stove above marked “Waterman / New York City”
Large Waterman kitchen stove
We need your Waterman information!
11. “Big Bertha” large model kitchen stove – photo provided by visitor to this webpage.
Tabletop Model
Tabletop Model
12. Two-burner tabletop model 13. Closeup of serial number on tabletop model at left showing “Henry Waterman & Bro. Corp. / Brooklyn 37 NY USA”
Tabletop Model
Tabletop Model
14. Boxy three-burner created after dispensing with the Asthetics Dept. 15. A different four-burner with bandy legs in chrome + black submitted by visitor to site
Painted Yellow
Tabletop Model
16. This one got painted somewhere along the way… 17. Another tabletop model – seen on ebay.
Waterman stove submitted by Matt S
18. Waterman stove pic submitted by visitor Matt S 19. Waterman Ideal logo
Waterman model 25
22. Waterman Model 25 23. —

65 Responses to Waterman Stoves

1. Lou says:

I came across your web page and was intrigued since I have one of these that came out of my grandparents house that was built circa 1919. It is a 4 burner Waterman Ideal and it looks like one in your photos – the one notated that was sold at auction on ebay a few yrs ago. I had looked for info on these for a while and could not find any. Interesting.

2. David Piscitelli says:

Hi,
    I just piced up a 3 burner Waterman Reliance. it looks the same as your blue and cream one. Mine is light geen and wht.
    I would like to know if I can get parts for it, and if so, would you have a name or number you could give me. I intend to use the stove as a back up cooker in a camp I have in NY. State.
    The stove has real charictor, and I would if I can find one, get an other for my CT. home as well.
    Thanks, Dave

3. admin says:

Dave, There is no easy way or single place to find parts. Do you need something in particular? Occasionally, people contact me with stoves they want to sell.

Yours is only the third or forth that I have heard of in this particular model – I don’t believe there are that many around.

4. carrie davis says:

I have just purchased a 3 burner yellow enamel waterman stove/oven the top flips up to become the back wall behind the burners. i would like to find out the approx age of this old beauty as it is in very nice conditon.

5. admin says:

Carrie,
    Unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly since I am not sure of the dates of operation for the company. My best guess is the 1920s through the 50s.

I would greatly appreciate a photo of your stove for my photo gallery. You can use the contact form at http://antiquesdiscovery.com/contact/

Thanks, Chris

6. antonia murphy says:

I have a two burner Waterman with oven on legs. Needs work.I would like to sell.Can I send you pictues? T. Murphy

7. admin says:

If you like, I can list your stove on the buy-sell-trade page. I will send you a private email.

8. antonia murphy says:

Correction to above listing. Stove has three burners.

9. Ellen Afzelius says:

I have a 2 burner waterman that came off a 1940 cabin cruiser my parents owned.
    It is missing it’s knobs (on and off) and i would like to replace them.
    thank you. Ellen

10. admin says:

It will probably be hard to get exact matches but I am sure you can find something reasonably close. Parts frequently turn up on ebay that may be compatible – also check with the folks at antiquestoves.com

11. keith says:

i have one of these very similar to number 8 but slightly different. it actually still works. do you know what kind of price range these would run?

12. admin says:

I really do need a VALUE section!

#5 and 6 are probably the most valuable of the lot and I would not expect those to ever sell for more than $500. Condition is the BIG factor. There is always some degree of rust in the ovens, they are never in like-new condition and most have not be certified as ready-to-use by a reputable restorer or shop, although many are likely fine for continued use.

Bigger $ is paid for the fancier stoves like the Chambers which are restored for use in nice houses – stoves like the Watermans are probably destined to camps and cottages.

Yours is nice but plain – shooting from the hip, I would say $200-300 and possibly more if exceptionally, unusually clean and rust free. Less if it is tired and shabby of course

13. Craig says:

I have an old Princess three burner stove top, I don’t know if it’s jetted for Propane or Natural Gas or if it matters. I always figured I’d use it for a BBQ or camping but so far I havent.

14. admin says:

The orifice size does matter. While not easily distinguishable to the naked eye, there is a difference.

You will find a fair amount of discussion online for this issue – much related to BBQ grills, but the concept is of course the same for any burner.

15. Connie Plaisay says:

I have a waterman stove just like pic 18 on this site anyone have an idea of what it is worth?
    my email is

16. admin says:

Please see my VALUE section at http://www.antiquesdiscovery.com/waterman. This really does answer your question as best as anyone can – without properly inspecting your stove and providing a formal in-person appraisal.

17. RF says:

i have a waterman stove. how much do they want ?

18. http://antiquesdiscovery.com/waterman/other-waterman-products/ says:

Have a Model #140 in very good condition, do not have the jewels. Do you have any buyers for this?

19. richard says:

Wife just purchased a #7. What type of gas do these old ovens burn?

20. admin says:

Could be LP, could be natural gas. If you knew the stove spent its life in an urban area, then it is likely but not necessarily natural gas.

As you will see in the discussion here
    you can convert from LP to natural gas by ever so slightly drilling out the burner orifice. Going the other way is a greater challenge.

If in doubt, hire an expert….this is gas we are talking about

21. sharon adams says:

I have a 3 burner Victory gas stove (with all parts, burners, tray).Looks VERY much like #5…..in great shape, needs some work. I’ve been using for wine storage/serving for several years. Can’t seem to find out much about Victory stoves. I purchased it from original owner who owned it since early 20th century. Know anything about Victory stoves?

22. JJT says:

Hello,

I’ve had an old small rectangular gas heater with the name WATERMAN on it it stored away for years. I have been thinking about restoring it to use as a decorative piece. It was my grandmother’s, so if she purchased it new in NYC or Queens it is likely from the 1910s – 1930s.

I haven’t seen too much out there on this type of heater and have been concerned that the material inside is asbestos, so have kept it double-bagged all these years. I just unwrapped it for some photos yesterday to see if I could find any information on it. Any idea on where to get info on the construction of this model?

You can see photos of it on my Flickr stream:
    Full front:

Rear shot – model number?

I looked underneath and behind for a model plate, but didn’t find one yet. (But I’m a little leery of handling it too much in case my asbestos suspicion is correct.)

Thanks!

23. admin says:

John,

Sure looks like the white material inside could be asbestos

I recently acquired a sales catalog from the company which took me years to locate. I would be willing to bet there is no parts catalog or much else in the way of company info.

I have been meaning to scan the catalog and make it publicly available but have simply been too busy to get to this. Don’t hesitate to bug me if you do not hear back in a week or two.

24. Bill Kay says:

Waterman four burner looking for a new home, same as number six on the site but probably not as clean. Check back for photos. Available on Long Island.

25. heather way says:

Hi, I found a small cast iron door in my 1840s house that says:

Waterbury SPECIAL Furnace
    m’f’d by WATERMAN-WATERBURY CO
    Minneapolis Minn

As idea what its from, I thought maybe the old coal furnace?

Its a nice thing at any rate, I am using it as a decoration!

thxs Heather

26. heather way says:

found it!

very cool! my house is a large stone one and its makes sense that this sort of heating would have been installed.

H

27. admin says:

Heather,
    Thanks for sharing this.

I am aware of the Waterman-Waterbury Co. As far as I know, there is no relation to Henry Waterman Company in Brooklyn, NY.

Chris Woods

28. Rick says:

I have a #14 i want to sell how do i find out how old it is or what its worth?

29. admin says:

Not a whole lot. Most folks list them on craigslist. You can also post a comment on my buy/sell page.

Chris

30. georgine eberight says:

I am looking for a vintage stove to be loaned or rented for a museum exhibit on food in central NJ. Does not have to work. Just for show. Lender will get full recognition in exhibit. Exhibit will run 6-12 months.

31. Margaret Kavanau says:

I have a Waterman stove similar to #4. For sale. It’s near Peekskill. Anyone interested?
    MK

32. gene says:

I have a Waterman #20 Table top model like that in Picture #17. Somewhat different than the model in the picture, mine is casted a little different, maybe an earlier or later vintage. Not to sure how to get a picture to you, send me back an e-mail address. My stove, for whatever initial purpose it was made for, we use for camping exclusively, not much out there that can compare, will probably get handed down and last another 100 years, they don’t make them like they used to. Gene

33. admin says:

Sounds interesting. I look forward to receiving a photo from you.

34. gene says:

Thanks for the history. There was a foundry in a town nearby called Exeter California. The company is called “Waterman” in which their main product was irrigation gates, valves, manhole covers, etc. They have been around here since at least the 1930’s or 40’s. The foundry products from this company now come from India. I have known many of people who worked there and also have used their products. When I first got my stove I believed they were casting these as another of their product line, I was just assuming as there was no listing on the casting as to city or state of manufacture. I believed I just had something that was kind of local thing or spin off from the foundry to make more sales. I had
    no knowledge of those stoves by that name that were made for household use. After reading your history, it clears things up a bit, nice pictures and some beautiful stoves. Gene

35. Joe says:

Hi I was wondering how much number 15 go for? Someone brought one to my shop to put on consignment. Thanks in advance.

36. admin says:

Condition is EVERYTHING. You can ask several hundred for a beautiful shiny stove with no rust inside or out, but value drops in most cases because the stove is used….one cannot say more than that without inspecting the stove in person.

37. Glen Masullo says:

We have a Waterman 4 burning (very similar to the one on the right in the 2nd row of your pictures) which we are looking to have refurbished (I will try to send you a picture of it soon). Do you have any idea what it cost to refurbish the burners and the oven elements? The cabinet is in great shape.

Thanks creating this site!
    Glen

38. admin says:

Glen, Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I seem to remember I had some burner grates re-surfaced for around $25 each but do not recall exactly. I list the two companies in the US that I know about which do porcelain work – see http://antiquesdiscovery.com/waterman/stove-sites/ – they should be able to quote you by phone. Repairing cracks in the iron would be an extra charge of course. –Chris

39. nicole says:

i have the #5 but mines mint green and cream im using it for my kids play stove since it perfect kids size, it did have alot of rust i had it sand blasted inside and behind and sides then painted it myself, would love to have it properly restored though, not for use but just display any idea how much that would cost?

40. Christopher Woods says:

I do think that among the group, #5 and 6 are worth restoring, but it is an expensive venture. I would not proceed if you do not have all the parts. Another consideration is the condition of the metal..light rust is one thing but pitting or weakness in need of resurfacing and/or repairs would make the project crazy expensive.

As it is, even a simple restoration where you just re-enamel and re-chrome can get expensive quickly. I would suspect your costs could easily run in the $1000-2000 range…but do check with one of the enameling providers that I have listed.

41. nicole says:

the only thing missing on mine is the grill part, i have the gas burners but not a grill like on yours , im in canada and so there doesnt seem to be a restoration place i can find as of yet 🙁 maybe i can even get a partial restoration i dont think i want to pay over 2000$

42. Christopher Woods says:

Two things that may be helpful:

(1) You could dismantle the stove and ship out the parts that need to be re-chromed or re-enameled. This is a pretty simple stove so should not be that hard. Photo document everything. Will save you a lot on cost.

(2) My guess is that any re-enamel shop is going to want to do the entire stove over since color matching is not easy. You probably won’t be re-doing just the sides or just some portion.

Hope this is helpful.

43. nicole says:

good idea , yes i would want all the enamel parts done for sure they isnt that much of it really since the sides and back are metal , maybe there is a place in seattle i havent checked there yet , if its within a few hours i can drive it there

44. jaime m. reyes says:

I have#138 stove to sale

45. Christopher Woods says:

Not sure what you mean by “#138?” Got a photo?

46. GARY LEWIS says:

I WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT THE PRICE OF THE FOLLOWING:
    WATERMAN 2 BURNER STOVE AND ONE 3 BURNER STOVE # 14

THANKS

47. Christopher Woods says:

Gary – I have written a section called Value at http://antiquesdiscovery.com/waterman/ which says everything that can be said about value – to go further in my opinion requires a proper in-person inspection and appraisal.

Both aesthetics and condition need to be critically considered.

48. Chris Wilbur says:

Own a 1930’s Waterman and need to know if the orifaces are LP or natural gas. Just had a service person look and he thinks they’re LP, but wants confirmation.

49. Christopher Woods says:

Chris,

As you can see from this site (featuring a generic orifice)

natural gas is larger than LP

natural uses #34 bit
    LP uses #51 bit

This chart shows details about numerical bit sizes http://www.smithbearing.com/pdf/ENG-FractionalChart.pdf

You would need to measure the orifice opening or size it using a numerical bit set….

HTH

Chris Woods

50. Chris Wilbur says:

Chris,
    Thanks so much for the info! Both sites were helpful. Looking forward to getting the stove up and working. Would like to send pics…where should I send them?